Thursday 27 November 2014

The Sockets

Plug In Baby

I did plan on getting an electrician in to install the 240V stuff, but decided am only putting in 1 x Double Socket and 1 x Single Socket, so to save a few quid I did it myself.

The double will be for general use, probably just a laptop or similar and the single will be for the fridge.

I bought some 3 core flex Arctic cable, and also a 16A MCB as the 32A I had with mine was too much for what I needed.

Decided to put the double socket at the end of the sofa/bed frame, facing the door. This will allow me to plug stuff in easily, for example my laptop/phone and have easy access to it.





As you can see above, the wiring comes from the CU and runs round past the batteries to the end panel.

Then I cut a hole in the ply for the socket, you can see in the 2nd photo below that it is just held in with tape. 





This is due to me glueing a supporting frame on the back of the ply to help strengthen it, and it is still too loose to screw into.

I then started the cable for the Fridge socket at the CU, wired up as below




Then I just ran it along the back of the sofa/bed frame, this can be hidden away if need be at a later date.





I then had to get the cable across to the kitchen, I didn't want to go up and over the sliding door, so just decided to go across the step. 
Using some cable ducting, I just screwed this to the step and ran the cable across.




It's not ideal, but will do for now.. I may change this at a later date if the cable/duct annoys me.

So then it just had to go across a little bit, again this will be tidied up later once I put the final flooring down.




Then I just had to attach the socket to the plywood wall and wire up the socket.






No comments:

Post a Comment