Wednesday 29 October 2014

The Unit

Saw it, done it

Today was a good day weather wise, so I decided to attempt the kitchen unit to house the oven, fridge, hob & sink plus some space for storage.

I had already done the base for the oven yesterday, so I just needed to build up from that. I have no joinery skills so this was a challenge.

I decided to start with the upright frames, so I just built 4 bits of wood screwed together.




First one went in and this seemed to work, so would just repeat this for another 3




I did measure everything at least twice, and was hoping that it would be level, did a check with a spirit level and most of it seemed to be!




Below is two photos of the other 3 uprights in place, 


       


Then I did some horizontal strengthening bars across the storage space and the oven enclosure.


       


The bit across the front of the oven was lower and fitted in so the oven sits neatly in, I put another piece across the top to level it off to the worktop level.




Next was to build a frame round the top of the fridge, in this space I might put a drawer in depending on space once the sink waste pipe is fitted in.




So now I had a complete top I could place the worktop on it and get an idea on how it would fit, as it happens I needed to trim 100mm off the back of the unit.

I was a bit wary about cutting this again, so used masking tape so I wouldn't damage it with the jigsaw.




Once it was cut, I placed it on top of the unit and checked to see if it needed to get a bit more off it due to the window profile and centre column. 
As it turns out, it was ideal size as if I went back any further then the glass lids would hit the windows.

One thing I did make a mistake with was the 2 struts across where the gap is were interfering with the underside of the hob gas pipes, so I removed them and will replace them again about 50mm further down.




Overall I am happy with it, I've not secured the worktop down yet as will leave that till all the services have been run round that way.




Still to decide what I am doing to panel it off with, probably either ply then varnished or contiboard.




All in all not a bad days work!








No comments:

Post a Comment