Monday 27 October 2014

The 12V's

Ground Control

Am at the stage where I am planning my 12V circuits and getting a bit confused.

I work away from home a lot, and will be using the van for perhaps a week at a time and sometimes without 240V hook up, although will be putting that in too.

I am also going to be using a 5 way control panel, connected to this will be Water Pump, Fridge, Lights, LED Colour lights and Aux (Spare).

List of 12V stuff so far

Water Pump
Shower mixer tap
Shower Fan/Light (with switch)
Toilet Pump
Storage Area Light (with switch)
Sink Taps
Fridge
LED Colour Lights
2 x LED Ceiling Lights
TV

I plan to get a 10 or 12 way blade fuse box too with a common ground/earth.


Rough Plan of the 12V accessories


What am not 100% sure on is how it should be all wired up, and if I need any further fuses ie from solar panels > controller, controller > battery, battery > fuse box.

Also do I run the cables to the control panel first from the fuse box, then out to the devices and then run the earth cable back to the fuse box common ground?

I believe I also need to calculate the size of cable based on the Amps of the items being installed and cable length. None of the cables should be any more than 4m.

I've asked on a couple of forums for help, as  I've been reading a few websites on it but getting myself confused.

**EDIT**

After some advise on this on a forum, it was pointed out that for only one 110A Leisure Battery isn't really adequate and having 200W Solar Power, I would be better having 2 so I have ordered another one.

I've also decided to get a better Solar Charge Controller which will charge both the Leisure Batteries and the Van Battery.

This also has a LCD Remote Display which will allow me to monitor the voltage and other diagnostics of all the batteries.


So hopefully after a bit of work, the diagram below should be how it will all go together up to the fusebox, I've still to work out how all that goes together!




**EDIT 2**

Apparently  my fridge should be connected up via a relay to the van alternator/ignition so it runs on 12V when on the move. 


Something like this I believe

No comments:

Post a Comment