Tuesday 28 October 2014

The Platform

Raising the Oven

Probably what annoys me (and no doubt loads of other self builders) is the wheel arches. The just get in the bloody road when you are planning and building your campervan.

I've avoided the one on the drivers side, which will sit between the sofa/bed and back storage area, and I will put a wardrobe over it.
But the passenger side one is where the kitchen is going, and the oven needs to sit on top of it.

Firstly, I put in a couple of slats where the fridge will slot in, this gives me the measurement I need for the unit length. The slat going up the side was removed, as am going to use slightly thicker wood for the uprights to support the worktop and Smev.




Then I built a couple of simple legs up to the height of the wheel arch, from where the oven will go up to, this gives me a gap in the middle which I will probably use for some simple plastic trays on rails for shelves.




Then a 3rd leg was put where the corner of the unit will go, this will form part of the frame eventually too.




Then it was just a case of cutting a bit of hard ply to sit on top of the legs which the oven will sit on.





So now I can start to figure out how to build round it all, never was any good at woodwork at school but quite happy on progress so far.








No comments:

Post a Comment