Thursday 10 March 2016

The Winter

Out of Hibernation

Well, it's been 5 months since updating the blog last, and although it's been a long winter break, summer is fast approaching and soon it will be time to get out in the van!

A lot has been happening personally in those 5 months too, I've moved down to Nottingham, got a full time job with Nottingham Trent University and currently in a 2 bed flat near the city centre, flat sharing with a Romanian guy.

So as I have full time work, I won't be working as many festivals or for as long periods as usual, but will still try fit as many in as possible, as I am off every 2nd weekend!

I've been using the van since moving down here to get about for work, as I transfered office down here with Showsec and taking shifts where I could to pay the bills, so the mileage recently has just went over 20,000.... still hardly broken in mind you!




Firstly, I got the van MOT'd again last month, taking it up to a place called Redhill Garage, not far away that specializes in motorhomes. Glad to say it passed without any issues, just 2 advisorys - 1 for the number plate again and 1 for the rear passenger tyre which was cracked.

And just last week, that tyre was flat, so got it replaced by a local garage called Kam Servicing, who managed to source the exact same tyre I got from National around this time last year, but for £45 and not £77 like I paid last year!

During the winter, my friends were kind enough to store all the cushions/curtains from the van, to stop them getting rotten and damp with the condensation over the winter. I got these back last week, and got them all washed and put back in again.




I've also upgraded the gas bottle inside from a 4.5kg to 7kg bottle, and fitted a new regulator too as it's a different type for that size of bottle. As you can see by the photos, it fits snuggly into the space.




I think the last time I washed the van was before last summer, so you can imagine the state it was in whilst sat about under trees at the flat! 

With no access to a pressure washer or ladders to clean/scrub the van, I took it down to a local car wash and left it with them for a couple of hours, and am very impressed of the job they did for £20!




So now the outside is looking a bit better, it's time to get the inside all sorted out. I've checked all the services and everything is working correctly, though I did think I had a leak from the boiler till I realised it was me that didn't connect something properly! 




Going to clean all the inside tomorrow, cleaning the shower/toilet and making it all smell nice. I've also taken all the cooking utensils, plates, cups etc in and cleaned all them ready for use.

There will also be all new bedding and covers in the van this summer, went for a slightly thicker duvet but I have also invested in a small heater/air cooler that has a built in thermostat, looking forward to testing that out and it has funky red/blue lights on it too!




Going away to a little campsite on the edge of the Peak District called Mill Farm next weekend for a couple nights, good test to make sure everything is working properly too!

And that's about it for now, not planning on doing anything major to the van, I would still like to get all the rusty spots sorted outside and get it painted... maybe later in the year!


Link to Photo Album

No comments:

Post a Comment